/rail/ - 1chan

1=Mono Chan= Chan
Password (post and file deletion)

File: 1545871398220.jpg (103.66 KB, 640x689, layout06.jpg)


Is there a term for this style of railroad? I see it's very common in British/European modeling. My red line addition is crude, but the basic concept I see is that there is hidden staging (backdrop marked by my crude red line) and the trains appear from staging to run through the layout, and then disappear back to staging. So you get this sort of shadowbox effect with the visible layout. Just wondering if there's a word for this across the pond, because we don't see quite this style in the US.


File: 1545871467501.jpg (10.65 KB, 415x121, images.jpg)

Same query for this sort of "end-of-branch-line" type of model railroad. Again, you have the hidden staging on one side, the train appears onto the visible layout, does its work, and then disappears back to staging. In the US we'd probably call this a shelf layout, but is there a specific term for this kind of end-of-branchline-with-staging setup?


probably a shunting or switching layout.


I've only ever heard it referred to as a "British-style" layout.


i'd call it 'evil' for making a 'wagon turntable' the only way to get onto the pier

this is usually called a 'terminal layout', 'yard layout' or 'switching layout' in the US, sometimes a 'timesaver' if they don't know what they're talking about. 'shelf layout' describes any generic layout with benchwork that's roughly shelf-depth (1'-2'), not how it operates.


I think "diorama" would apply to a model with limited viewpoints (such as not being able to see behind the scenery), but I'm not entirely sure.

FWIW, the area behind the curtain where stock gets swapped out is known in British practice as a "fiddle yard".


Just known as a tailchaser AFAIK.



[Return][Go to top] [Post a Reply]
Delete Post [ ]