1chan


[Return]
Name
Link
Subject
Comment
File
Password (for post and file deletion)

Supported file types are jpg, jpeg, bmp, gif, png up to 10 MB.
All images must be safe for viewing at work.
1chan Helpline: (512) 953-3619


File: 1477593055699.jpg (622.25 KB, 1200x800, 176346.jpg)

 No.2136[Last 50 Posts]

So why wouldn't we start the first RZD thread on the new 1chan?

As usual: I provide you with stuff, you provide me with questions and topics for discussion on the subject. Something like this basically.

 No.2137

File: 1477593996270.jpg (428.47 KB, 1200x804, .jpg)

Starting with a good news. My favorite GT1h (just to remind if needed: the world's most powerful gas-turbine locomotive, 8300 kW LNG turboshaft engine plus hybrid transmission, 2x(2o+2o-2o+2o), 360 tons, produced by LudTZ, Sinara group, Russia) recognized as meeting all RZD requirements. However only one unit has been ordered for the next year yet. Planned area of operation: Sverdlovskaya railway with 9000-ton trains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MU7vGyymAY

 No.2138

File: 1477597362568.jpg (803.61 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)


 No.2142

File: 1477656119656.jpg (383.26 KB, 1286x853, .jpg)


 No.2143

File: 1477656368554.jpg (261.11 KB, 1280x790, .jpg)

By the way, sorry if I will repeat sometimes, previous thread were long time ago and if someone remembers all their content I certainly don't, but I guess this is OK since hardly anyone remembers any of it thoroughly.

 No.2146

>>2138

location?

 No.2148

>>2147
>the territory in fact being under Russian administrative control
That's a funny way of describing the occupation of another nation.

 No.2149

File: 1477746654354.jpg (877.46 KB, 1200x828, .jpg)

>>2146
Crimea. Don't remember if I told you or not, despite the territory in fact being under Russian administrative control the Crimean railway operates separately from RZD, and not only physically (before the delivery of Kerch bridge there is only one direct way to connect these two railways, by the railway ferry obviously). Interestingly, this 2TE116 was appropriated by the Crimean railway while formally it is still part of UZ (Ukrainian railways), the railway it will apparently never get to in the observable future - the territorial argument as it is.
This one, on the other hand, is sent from Oktyabr'skaya railway of RZD, but officially this is just a lease, not a handover.

 No.2150

File: 1477746931024.jpg (166 KB, 960x1280, .jpg)

>>2148
sorry, had to submit the post again, there were some mistakes to correct

This is the only neutral way of describing the territorial argument without any fancy propaganda-style words, which can be incomprehensible to a politically triggered jerk who aren't really interested in discussing the railway.

 No.2151

>>2150
>Implying there's an argument to be had about the status of Crimea as part of Ukraine.
Cool it, Vatnik, I'm just ribbing you a bit.

 No.2152

File: 1477747546353.jpg (371.62 KB, 1200x900, .jpg)

>>2151
good day, old liberaha-friend, still you remember of this site after all?..
Well if it is so, then what power Ukrainian authorities still have there apart from sabotage of electrical lines? Is it their vision of helping poor suffering under terrible occupation civilians? Or if they simply don't care anymore, why insist so much?..

 No.2154

File: 1477778822060.jpg (326.01 KB, 1200x790, .jpg)

Being Captain Obvious these 4 questions are rhetorical, there's no need in answering them for anyone who have at least a shadow of respect to the normal dialogue on this board.

 No.2155

>>2154
>Man, why are people that are fighting a resistance against an occupier resisting?
Really gets the neurons firing…

 No.2156

File: 1477782482495.jpg (683.11 KB, 1200x785, .jpg)

>>2155
That's too fat even for you, go away now.

 No.2159

File: 1477784153635.jpg (432.61 KB, 1200x795, .jpg)

Come to think of it, that's a strange way to deal with "occupation" intentionally causing problems for both the occupier and the occupied.

Exactly resembles your attitude on this board, the person who think of himself as a cool rebel destined to bring the concealed by an angry Russian TRUTH™ to the western people here (like CNN or BBC aren't doing it well enough) in fact just sabotages normal dialogue with irredeemable offtopic and shitty memes to a degree that he just totally discredit himself and what he stands for in the eyes of the normal people here. They are more clever than you think of them, y'know.

 No.2160

>>2159
Gee, I bet you think the French sabotage of the railways in WWII was unpatriotic too!

Vatnik, it's time to stop posting.

 No.2165

>>2159
>>2160
/rail/ is for the discussion of railroads and directly related topics, not for arguing crap like this and name calling. Both of you need to stop now or you will get a temporary ban.

 No.2169

File: 1477826934868.jpg (210.56 KB, 950x1343, 1dde4bd7d828966c1a3798681e….jpg)

>>2165
Yes, we here do not need to promote her.

 No.2170

Iku?!? What the eff are you doing there?

 No.2171

>>2169
Shadman? On MY 1chan?!
<_<

 No.2172

File: 1477839686034.jpg (48.76 KB, 630x306, signal-red-over-yellow-res….jpg)

>horrie shet

>>2169

Fine work here bruhvs

also, sage

 No.2174

File: 1477852645494.jpg (444.09 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)

>>2165
Alright, I will agree for a ban for both of us if this destructive jerk gets permaban.
Mr. Tex, I have told my position on political shit like this in the very beginning ( >>2150 ) and this was at least THIRD time I have said this on this board. With all respect, you should have noticed.
As another option, I can delete this whole thread until next time. So what do you say?

 No.2177

>>2174
Leave it be and move on. 1chan isn't anyone's personal soapbox.

 No.2179

File: 1477870686602.jpg (408.42 KB, 1200x801, .jpg)

>>2177
Well, if you remember original 1chan history, I tried to move on when there were constant flow of shit like this pouring into RZD threads but anyone didn't care. Didn't help much as far as I can remember. And yes, I won't lie to you, it is almost impossible to me to resist sometimes when certain topics are raised.
I mean why even should we tolerate the person who has openly showed from post one he's not interested in any kind of related discussion and intentionally tried to ruin the normal dialogue only because of the presence of just one person?

 No.2185

>>2179
Why do we tolerate it? Because with the new administration, everyone gets a warning. You both got yours; it is now up to you how you use it.

 No.2187

File: 1477918236091.jpg (402.95 KB, 1280x866, .jpg)

>>2185
Well it would be fair unless just one detail I can't quite understand… So the person who sincerely eager to contribute to the normal informative dialogue and is open to any kind of suggestions (haven't I proven that enough?) has exactly the same blame as the simple troll who doesn't really even veil it… for, basically, that he hinted to him quite transparently his topic is not welcome here?
As for my answers, it is emotionally hard to resist when someone is openly bullying your topic and your political beliefs only because of the mention of one fucking territory.
Or should I restrain from any mentions of Crimea (despite the fact there are plenty of interesting things related to the rail transit) in my posts because it makes me responsible for drawing attention of such "internet guerrillas"?

 No.2192

File: 1477937528327.jpg (43.49 KB, 610x300, 1305786268706.jpg)

Please only feed the trolls with overly expensive dining car microwave dinners and stale coffee.

 No.2193

File: 1477937999892.jpg (45.38 KB, 610x300, Ravintolavaunu-2-VR.jpg)

It's a double decker, btw. With more loosely furnished cafeteria/bar at the upper floor.

Incidentally, I don't think Parovoz has ever posted anything about the dining cars or much about the Trans-Siberian sleeper cars either, apart that one off-remark about platskartny-class (>>948).

 No.2194

File: 1477938603245.jpg (91.19 KB, 820x500, veturietu1602JOB_uu.jpg)

>>2189
Gore you say? (It was an elk.)

We could have a dedicated crash-thread. Also if Mike gets WebMs working, I may have some genuinely funny videos where people get run over by trais and die :-)

 No.2199

File: 1477951426946.jpg (344.84 KB, 1200x790, .jpg)

Keep it up, guys! It looks it is time to blame me and my silly thread in drawing troll attention… again.
And by the way, who said something about the train gore?..

 No.2207

Yes, yes, very good

HOWEVER

is there any LOVE put into russian train operations?

 No.2212

>>2207 – As far as I can tell, there are Real Railroaders in Russia, so expect to find BURNING LOVE! for rail ops there.

Maybe literally so. There are video clips of museum locomotives gainfully employed hauling freight. Kinda odd to see a hard-breathing steamer passing a tech shop.

 No.2214

File: 1478042079007.jpg (543.58 KB, 1200x752, .jpg)

>>2207
>>2212
Well there is a certain percentage of people who really like their job on the railway as in any major area. I personally know some specialists who enjoy the rail transport while working at it.
> There are video clips of museum locomotives gainfully employed hauling freight.
Yeah, but that's generally for another reason. Since maintaining such tech these days isn't cheap steam engines are sometimes employed for ordinary train operation to better recoup expenses and keep the specialized personnel busy between the retro-train passages.

Heres my old selection of L series steam locomotives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzlIXc-lYn0 - L-2344 and Er774-38 with retro train.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-6jnJDZgR8 - L-3653 meets Eu683-89 and L-2057.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPhPUuvyT3c - cabride from L-2344.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2a8PGPmo_A - L-5289 with freight train.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rcHqeI_SwI - L-0022 with test train.

 No.2215

File: 1478042825852.jpg (724.18 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)


 No.2217

File: 1478044177692.jpg (647.25 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)

>>2185
>>2187
And by the way we can of course stifle this unpleasant topic but the incident isn't completely closed and I'm more than sure sooner or later it will pop up again with rather pitiful consequences because given mentioned earlier I honestly can't make any promises at this point… just saying, man, no incitement.

 No.2218

/me looks at image…

What the Helheim?!?

 No.2222

I was wondering recently, taking into account the considerable avances in building railroads in inhospitable climates, are there any plans to Norilsk to the national rail network?

 No.2227

File: 1478141696342.jpg (458.55 KB, 1280x792, .jpg)

>>2222
> 2222
Oh man! I was preparing to take this :(((

Aaaaanyway, the Norilsk railway is a specialized network servicing the Norilskiy Nikel and there is no big need in connecting it to the RZD network since all cargo and rolling stock are easily shipped (quite literally, by Yenisey river or the Northeast Passage through Dudinka river port so no road transit involved) to or from the main 1520 network. So considering the conditions and the very distance it would be almost pointless undertaking.

Pic related is the official paintscheme for the Norilsk railway.

 No.2243

>>2227
That's a rad paintscheme

 No.2295

File: 1478567357455.jpg (280.89 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)

>>2243
Of course this is a unique painting for just one loco, however regular version is similar (pic related is taken from the Norilsk railway itself while >>2227 is from the Voronezhskiy diesel locomotive repair works).

 No.2296

File: 1478577649865.jpg (350.83 KB, 1200x900, .jpg)

>>2227
Dudinka port, this is how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQn8pab8Vc

 No.2369

File: 1479048106385.jpg (401.44 KB, 1264x840, .jpg)

Very interesting situation emerged yesterday and the day before on the Moscow railway. Due to severe precipitation including ice rain the train work was hindered because of the icing on the catenary which made it dangerous to operate electric rolling stock in normal routine.
So all passenger (and initially EMUs too) trains were driven by the diesel locomotives until the situation has been resolved.

 No.2370

File: 1479049340340.jpg (613.88 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)

>>2369
Does it worth mentioning that passenger trains under diesel traction is incredibly rare in Moscow? Especially given that mostly they were hauled by 2TE25KM freight locomotives which usually don't even appear near Moscow (pic related and the previous one by the way is from Kievskiy rail terminal which is just 3 km away from Kremlin).

Heres a videos of such unusual operation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OGpc3c69E - 2TE25KM-0002+EP20-026
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku4H3zBtYGo - 2TE25KM-0106+ChS7-154
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXFuMWdXM4 - 2M62U-0249+EP10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQ5BK_x7mk - 2TE25KM-0007+ChS7-045

 No.2391

File: 1479144541510.jpg (376.79 KB, 1210x804, .jpg)

You maybe wondering (pfff, like someone even gives a fuck) what so scary about running electric locomotives with icing on the contact wire… so heres the clear examples of why it is a bad idea. You see, if it is mostly acceptable for EMUs, electric locomotives due to much bigger currents create a risk of melting the contact wire with high-current arc if there is too much ice on the wire and also I suppose it may damage traction equipment of the loco. All videos are from the last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzpLC4Lv1_4 - sometimes however they take their chances but apparently railway services review the condition of the wiring and let the electric locomotives work if there isn't too much ice there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sr8SuSqj6k - also it is probable crews limit the power draw of their locomotives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjIMcPuh6tg - it is strange by the way that this ChS7 uses only one pantograph while the instruction tells to use all of them to reduce individual currents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WWHrrHLe-M - this is scary. However it is 25 kVAC so the arc can be bigger while the currents aren't as big as on the 3 kVDC in Moscow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOI56L_rDbs

 No.2401

File: 1479314297680.jpg (418.6 KB, 1274x846, .jpg)

>>2370
Bump with some more videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsK3-3vAzrM - 2TE25KM, this train is unusual by the fact that it hasn't an electric locomotive to provide power to the heating system of the train.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3g4SQtZ4xc - 2M62U-0253+ChS7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNq-zImCby0 - more light show. As you can see, some cars are on emergency power supply so apparently newer rolling stock is more sensitive to constant slumps and interruptions on the input.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDw1_8nM4mw - in worst cases EMUs needed help too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI3J5jjagoE

 No.2403

>>2391 – Maybe the bloke in video #3 forgot to raise both pantographs. Or he lost the forward panto enroute.

>>2401 – It is possible that the electric loco they had intended to use had its pantos frozen down, and there were no spare units at hand.

 No.2405

So I've been reading some stuff about diesel locomotives recently and I read somewhere that the TEP80 locomotive someone managed to reach 271 km/h at one point. Is this true? If so, how did they do it?

 No.2406

File: 1479470776701.jpg (235.61 KB, 1100x727, .jpg)

>>2405
Yes, it is a world record. Unofficially unfortunately because this was an activity for internal needs so no one have thought to spend money on inviting Guinness book representatives, HOWEVER there are documentary evidences linked below.
I have heard they modified running gear of TEP80-0002 for it to handle speed 59% more than designed. The goal was to test the ability of such running gear to handle speeds more than 200 km/h for EP200 (do not confuse with EP20) project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPIipCkkWcw - prepartions for the test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWDdNe_zx5A - external view, 253 km/h.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYXjxXFha0 - the record, 271 km/h.

 No.2408

>>2406
Holy shit so it is real. That's pretty impressive. Did they have to modify the prime mover at all to accomplish this?

>The goal was to test the ability of such running gear to handle speeds more than 200 km/h for EP200 (do not confuse with EP20) project.


So was the project a success in the end or did meet the same fate as the Sokol?

 No.2411

File: 1479491475003.jpg (297.75 KB, 1552x873, .jpg)

>>2403
I doubt he lost the forward pantograph in route because, one, it looks intact, and two, pantograph wreckage usually have rather destructive consequences involving damaging roof equipment and even the catenary. Also I will hardly believe he forgot to raise it under such unusual circumstances especially having the conductor who can remind about it. Maybe it was a malfunction due to weather or… I ran out of ideas.
>>2404
C'mon, just delete this someone already.

 No.2412

>>2411
You've got to give us more time to get rid of spam posts. Mods aren't present 24/7. Just hit the report button and we'll all see it in the queue when we log in like I just did.

 No.2413

>>2411 – Well, there are two ways to lose a panto (or anything). One is to physically lose it. The other is to lose the ability to use it.

I could see that the forward panto was there, so I went guessing if it was an air-operated one that dropped if the carbon strip failed, something I figured might well have happened with all that arcing and sparking going on.

 No.2415

File: 1479506528140.jpg (367.06 KB, 1200x799, .jpg)

>>2408
> Did they have to modify the prime mover at all to accomplish this?
Obviously 6000 HP diesel can handle accelerating 180-ton locomotive without cars to such speed. Simple traction calculations show that at the peak speed it still provided at least 4.5 ton-forces of tractive effort.
> So was the project a success in the end or did meet the same fate as the Sokol?
Get ready to a long pointless explanation…
You see, it isn't quite correct to judge of abandoned projects only by their technical success, the fate of such projects (at least in USSR/Russia, at least around that time) were mostly decided by economical and "political" factors. I haven't hear about a project that was fucked up literally beyond all repair, meaning that I suspect there actually wasn't a single project which is so unsuccessful technically that it couldn't be finalized whatsoever, it just usually needs some more or less political decision, I mean, the manufacturer needs at least some guaranties from the potential buyer to know their efforts won't be wasted. In fact I know a couple of examples of domestic rolling stock that started as one unreliable piece of shit and then… remained to be that way, just in much lesser degree yet being commercially successful, like TE10 family, for example. …

 No.2416

File: 1479506798257.jpg (373.06 KB, 1200x810, .jpg)

>>2408
So more specifically, you should keep in mind that all these three projects, basically started as Soviet, were worked upon in very hard times when the railroad barely stayed afloat so there was very little hope the railroad will require such advanced tech. And indeed TEP80 became irrelevant because it was too advanced at the time, however for EP200 the reason that it was abandoned was a bit different, it just haven't fit into the concept of passenger traffic that started to form around the time RZD finally refused from it. There already was a concept (well, maybe EP10 after all was such unsuccessful locomotive that it was decided that it is better to designed completely new loco within this concept, EP20, however produced machines are still in operation so it has been finalized to a degree that it is at least possible to run it on the regular basis) of rapid powerful dual-system electric locomotive which looked as way more efficient solution than EP200, EP200 just had very specific traction drive which wasn't scalable to 3 kVDC system. As for Sokol I have written it in one of the 1520 threads that the railway managers basically just subjectively made a decision in favor of Siemens Velaro. I will not argue this decision now mostly because I did it earlier.
>>2412
Of course, just this post existed almost for entire day… You could say I ran out of patience:) Also I have hit this button but the page didn't refresh (which is possible with my still beloved script) so I had no idea has it been actually sent.

 No.2436

File: 1479754368299.jpg (425.82 KB, 1350x900, .jpg)

A sketch from the life of the railway. Evacuation of 3ES5K electric locomotive with jammed wheelpair (probably the destruction of axlebox or motor-axle bearing). Notice the contraption: the wheelpair is resting on the skids while the rails are lubricated by the mineral oil… from the plastic bottles attached to the brake hangers.
I wonder if they gonna clean this oil by hand or just tell the crews to use sand on this stretch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fNKqSXc8k

 No.2454

File: 1479858668463.jpg (669.4 KB, 1280x800, .jpg)

>>2369
>>2370
Found an interesting video compilation about the consequences of the ice rain on the Belorusskoe passage of Moscow railway (probably was filmed during the ice rain and after).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdJnZQcJ4U

 No.2461

File: 1479949151125.jpg (511.75 KB, 1310x870, .jpg)

I dunno what else should I do to stimulate the dialogue so… just bump.

 No.2471

File: 1480064002834.jpg (488.27 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)


 No.2474

File: 1480131111182.jpg (545.02 KB, 1250x833, .jpg)


 No.2475

File: 1480133100531.jpg (376.68 KB, 1200x795, .jpg)

I get it, looks like this thread just lacks simple beautiful photos so I gonna fix this.

 No.2476

File: 1480133193611.jpg (971.09 KB, 1280x800, .jpg)


 No.2487

File: 1480400662031.jpg (541.06 KB, 1220x813, .jpg)

Continuing…

 No.2488

File: 1480400717078.jpg (464.71 KB, 1240x849, .jpg)


 No.2489

File: 1480400868607.jpg (307.1 KB, 1200x794, .jpg)


 No.2506

File: 1480482526747.jpg (940.49 KB, 1280x800, .jpg)


 No.2507

File: 1480482560686.jpg (471.41 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)


 No.2516

File: 1480675624020.jpg (891.73 KB, 2560x1700, .jpg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7WQc8WubrQ
A major video about MCC (Moscow Central Circle) metro-rail line in Moscow. From test traffic to normal operation. Notice old rolling stock used in test operation. Also notice the presence of moving-block signaling (Russian brand-new ABTC-M/ALSO safety system).


>Technically this is full-fledged railway line operating by all railway standards with cutting edge railway equipment but formally this is part of Moscow metro network, operated by Moscow metro and RZD together.

> MCC has 28 stations (26 surface, 1 underground and 1 elevated) and 3 more to open. It operates with intervals down to 5 minutes however there are plans to reduce them to 3 minutes in rush hours.
More on the subject: >>1820

 No.2536

File: 1480945218671.jpg (492.23 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)


 No.2537

Are those antennae on the roofs of locomotives and EMU's for the radio communication systems?

 No.2545

File: 1481006015617.jpg (429.45 KB, 1200x730, .jpg)

>>2537
Well… for what else would you need an antenna? There are usually three antennas for every radio connection available. The wire above the roof (1) is used for MF and VHF train radio connection, the tall antenna (2) or discone on modern locomotives and discone on old locomotives is used for VHF analog or digital shunting radio connection and for digital feed for some onboard microprocessor systems, and the short antenna (3) is for GPS/GLONASS (previously GPS, now it is using Russian GLONASS) satellite navigation for KLUB-U/BLOK safety system.

 No.2562

File: 1481136990471.jpg (532.4 KB, 1264x814, .jpg)


 No.2576

File: 1481408276337.jpg (459.22 KB, 1200x767, .jpg)

Now we'll talk about rare locomotives. Many may have not heard of VL15A.
VL15 is the most powerful (after 3ES10 but this marking is unofficial) 3 kVDC locomotive series, 2x(2o-2o-2o) and 9400 kW built by Tbilisskiy electric locomotive works in USSR (now Georgia). VL15A differs from VL15 by the absence of regenerative brake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt5IJy07Hfw - All 6 VL15As work (one is decommissioned) on the Apatity private line in Murmansk region, Russia. By the way this line is very interesting and worth special mentioning so look forward to the dedicated post here.

 No.2660

File: 1481950844646.jpg (965.56 KB, 1280x852, .jpg)

>>2576
OK, sorry for this delay (pfh, like there is at least one person who cared about this announcement). The thing is that I too had only basic info on this so my plan was to first familiarize with the subject in detail and then to pass this to you guys but it turned out it is very hard to find any concentrated info.

—–
So. The ~70 km line (in fact this is small network) located in Murmansk region near the border of Karelia in Khibiny mountains owned by Apatit (not Apatity, my bad) company which is part of Fosagro group. The facility mines and processes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatite ore. It connects 3 mines and 3 processing plants with Apatity-1 station on the RZD network from there the material proceeds to other facilities or to export. I would call it the Russian Malmbanan and that's why…

 No.2661

File: 1481950939191.jpg (469.63 KB, 1280x853, .jpg)

>>2660
The line has 3 kVDC electrification throughout all its extent and IIRC this is the biggest electrified industrial line on the Space-1520. In fact it was electrified almost at the very beginning and it became the THIRD electric railway in the history of Russian (Soviet) railways. Obviously it has enormous transportation volume for an industrial line and heavy profile (up to 0.037) so in addition to the aforementioned it uses the most powerful locomotives in operation on the private line ( >>2576) and even uses pusher locomotives to haul trains of up to 25 155-ton 6-axle dumpcars. Apart from VL15A Apatit uses VL10 locomotives and even 2ES10 Granit locomotive which is the only mainline Russian locomotive with AC motors in private operation. And by the way they even seek to upgrade their already impressive fleet with more 2ES10 or RZD's VL15 locomotives.
Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-dZknOsFl8 - the little documentary from where I obtained most of the info. The text is obviously in Russian but it is still interesting by insanely beautiful landscapes and footage of the rolling stock. The map of the network is on 6:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN57wyadVlU - Part 2.
Just raw footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM8D7xPdM7o - VL15A-004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ9MvVi-G10 - VL10U-732 and VL10-519
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RLwqeQdH0 - The mix from the same folks containing mostly the Apatit's rolling stock.

 No.2671

/me looks at the locomotives‘ names…

You rock!

 No.2690

I was wondering recently, has anybody ever filmed the complete journey from one end of the Trans-Sib to the other?

 No.2691

I recall seeing a PBS show in the 1990's about it and it was really fascinating. Just googled it and it looks like 1996.

 No.2710

File: 1482438816942.jpg (349.33 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)

>>2671
Which names are you talking about in particular?

 No.2750

File: 1482774416007.jpg (265.16 KB, 1323x756, 84392.jpg)

>>2748
> ЭС40
> I though you might have some insider knowledge about this. They say it's based on VL40.
Wow, I had to google it to even get a clue what the 2TE10M are you talking about. Sources say ES40 is just domestic marking of Sr1 prototype in some literature. It OBVIOUSLY wasn't based on VL40 because it had group traction drive which had proven unsuccessful however it is noted that VL40 was the first Soviet electric locomotive to have slanted rods as traction transmission element and Sr1 also had this solution and was the first Soviet elektrovoz learning Russian with mr. Parovoz :p to have it in serial production. However the trucks are different and they were even produced by a different plants (VL40 - Tbilisskiy, ES40/Sr1 - Novocherkasskiy) so supposedly Sr1 just borrowed the mentioned and maybe some more solutions (but I doubt it because they look completely different, and the electrical equipment wasn't nearly the same).
And for folks who don't follow what are we talking about, do not confuse the Soviet VL40 with group traction drive and frame motor suspension and Ukrainian and Kazakh VL40s which are… LITERALLY VL80* divided by two.
https://yandex.ru/images/search?text=ВЛ40

 No.2813

File: 1482963677775.jpg (325.85 KB, 1200x800, 5733de2c125fd4e199dd98cb37….jpg)

>>2750
Nice explanation. I posted it in that form, because I don't know what you call them in Russian.

Anyway, if you say it's the name of the Sr1 prototype, we have it covered. Number 3112 was originally numbered 3000 and was build to serve as a prototype locomotive by the factory and then left to rust. VR bought and restored it after the Soviet Union fell and it was last Sr1 to enter service in 1996.

 No.2842

File: 1483221799818.jpg (465.58 KB, 1280x800, .jpg)

It's 1:08 Moscow time so… Happy New Year folks! I sincerely hope this year will be just awesome! For all of us.

 No.2845

File: 1483238376148.jpg (103.72 KB, 1024x648, .jpg)

And in case someone of you will get bored during the New Year celebration or just too drunk I get an idea for you.

Moscow region's channel, Podmoskovye 360 has a practice of showing non-stop cabrides in the New Year night so I am going to introduce this practice here with something AWESOME.

No, seriously guys. Just try this.

https://youtu.be/bjtE8JWokdI - a time-lapse video from TEP70 cab, diesel route Likhaya - Volgograd. INSANELY beautiful south Volga area landscapes.
https://youtu.be/jGCQrOgGnJ8 - and this is the first video of the series, this is from EP20 cab, route Rostov-na-Donu - Adler.

P. S. By the way, this isn't an "improper" Santa Claus. This is Santa's traditional Russian (supposedly older) brother Ded Moroz.

 No.2923

File: 1483758366060.jpg (308.54 KB, 1200x849, .jpg)

>>2710
Bump of question. If @Pioner Mineur means some particular names I am pretty interested which and why.

First photo taken in this year ITT.

By the way, merry Orthodox Christmas folks!

 No.2949

>>2923 – Nah, it was a pun on class names like Granit and Apatit, both of which are minerals.

 No.2956

File: 1484045307829.jpg (449.54 KB, 1220x810, .jpg)

>>2949
> Granit and Apatit, both of which are minerals
Hm-m-m, this is interesting. I haven't notice that.
Nice game of words BTW.

 No.3025

File: 1484597157733.jpg (173.49 KB, 1000x667, .jpg)

So I was going to tell you about the "impossible railway", the Transpolar mainline, now known as the North Latitudinal Way project. But in fact it is a bit tricky, there is whole bunch of lines some of which are old lines which are partially in operation, some constructed just recently and some are planned. To understand the routing of existing lines better the latitudinal way is in its current state split in half with end stations on Labytnangi on the West part and Stariy Nadym on the East part.
East part is owned by Yamal railway company, a joint venture of RZD and YaNAO administration and is connected to the RZD network at Korotchaevo station. It has ~250-km branch line Noviy Urengoy - Yamburg pictured schematically here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/3/3c/Transpolar_magistral_map.png
West part belongs to Sosnogorskoye division of Severnaya railway (RZD) and connected to the rest of the network via Chum station, and also has branch lines to Vorkuta and the Obskaya - Bovanenkovo - Karskaya line constructed just a few years ago and owned by Gazpromtrans. This, my friends, is the northernmost railway line in the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obskaya–Bovanenkovo_Line

 No.3026

File: 1484602384250.jpg (168.27 KB, 1000x667, .jpg)

>>3025
The plans here are big. There are many extensions and other branches but the most important and the most real in the near future is the North Latitudinal Way (or Northern Latitudinal Route) project itself. The route is Obskaya - Labytnangi - Salekhard (actually it is SalekHARD, the bridge over the Ob' river here is going to be the most nasty task) - Nadym - Noviy Urengoy - Korotchaevo. The parts from Obskaya to Labytnangi and from Korotchaevo to Nadym are in operation, as I said, and partially going to be reconstructed and other part will be constructed from scratch. This will connect Severnaya and Sverdlovskaya railways on the very north of Russia.
Also there are plans similar to idea of Stalin's age "Construction 503": to go from Korotchaevo to Igarka along the original route and eventually to Dudinka connecting the Norilsk railway to the rest of the network. So yes, >>2222 , I was kinda wrong, HOWEVER obviously these are very long-term plans because it will be a lot harder than the abovementioned and also Norilsk railway AFAIK is feeling somewhat comfortable with its easy access to river and sea routes.

 No.3028

File: 1484603603735.jpg (513.65 KB, 1200x609, .jpg)

>>3026
Currently these lines mostly service the oil and natural gas fields. But these resources are transported there mostly via the network of pipelines so actually the traffic here is pretty moderate. This and the weather conditions along with light profile suggest the use of diesel locomotives with big ratio of adhesive weight to (relatively low) power output so mostly there are road switcher (shunting) locomotives used primarily as mainline. But also due to this, particularly Yamal railway company is the biggest reserve of TE3 locomotives. These machines are up to 57 years old and still in good condition! There are even TE7 repurposed for freight work and named as TE3, I do not remember any other TE7s still in operation.
Also there are mostly 2TE10-family, TEM2-family and TEM7A locomotives in use.

Other photos: >>2812, >>2814, >>2832.

 No.3040

File: 1484769812156.jpg (433.35 KB, 1280x777, .jpg)

>>3028
Just look at this pic. I often think that with such experience it is quite possible some day we will be the first to build a railway on another planet. Because the men who constructed all this certainly can manage this.

 No.3059

File: 1484866738520.jpg (313.78 KB, 1365x768, .jpg)

>>3040
Some videos of this railway. They were actually kinda hard to gather, y'know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3149oarPz4 - the bridge over Yuribey river, the longest polar bridge in the world ( >>3026), 3897 meters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_whEc6cZTQ - TE3-3003 departs from Noviy Urengoy station.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWbZoG-ZADY - TE3-580 arrives at Korotchevo station.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHakeRv-8M - cabride on TEP70U on Sverdlovskaya railway, this isn't Polar circle yet, but already close. But still you can see it is more mild climatic zone.

 No.3084

File: 1485296063018.jpg (286.92 KB, 1365x768, .jpg)

I just hope you learned something new about Transpolar railway guys. Because all this data was surprisingly hard to gather.

Will post a few more atmospheric photos of it. Stay tuned.

 No.3085

Amazing! Can you provide a map?
About the railways that are being built.

 No.3089

File: 1485359221017.jpg (166.14 KB, 1050x814, .jpg)

>>3085
Well I have linked in >>3025 two maps of existing and historical lines which complete each other. Functionally abandoned currently parts of historical Transpolar line is what they are up to build now however the new path is going to be a bit more to the North if I remembered correctly.

Heres my ultimate map of this part of the network. Legend: black/grey are parts in operation, red is abandoned lines, green is work in progress, and pink is what they are planning to build in the future. No need to say this is all very schematic, just to visualize.

 No.3105

File: 1485601177878.jpg (348.79 KB, 1255x753, .jpg)


 No.3129

>>3059
Bay! A 3900 metre bridge.. now that is big! Impressive.

I sent that link to a friend in Lethbridge, Alberta who boasts about the High Level bridge on the edge of town (it's 95m high).

 No.3150

File: 1485902287930.jpg (293.6 KB, 1365x768, .jpg)

>>3129
It took me some time to realize which bay do you mean:)

By the way, is there a need to explain why the track is so rough on this photo? I'm still posting Transpolar railway.

 No.3153

>>3150
Heheh.. sorry, my poor attempt at saying 'wow!' In russian.

I watched that full video of the south Volga region you posted in >>2845 really enjoyable & agree it's in a beautiful area.

 No.3192

File: 1486594118557.jpg (370.19 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)

>>3153
I wish there will be more long videos like these. However, there are a couple I believe. Will post them eventually.

Also Transpolar railway.

 No.3199

ХАЛО ПИНДОСЫ

 No.3202

File: 1486678373233.jpg (419.19 KB, 1200x659, .jpg)


 No.3204

File: 1486746333143.jpg (309.79 KB, 1365x768, .jpg)

>>3202

This isn't an abandoned line, by the way, just underutilized industrial line.

 No.3205

File: 1486758425753.jpg (128.09 KB, 1256x755, .jpg)


 No.3206

File: 1486758849830.jpg (283.07 KB, 1200x800, 20160620_561965.jpg)

>>3028
And speaking of locomotives also Transpolar railway is visited by TEP70U, the newest locomotives here apart from TEM7As.

 No.3208

File: 1486758994332.jpg (465.61 KB, 1280x960, .jpg)

>>3205

This is how REAL!!! Polar Express looks like!

 No.3210

File: 1486760926486.jpg (104.66 KB, 1280x732, .jpg)

>>3208
Alright, that's it for the glorious Transpolar railway for now. I have stretched the topic for too long, almost a month, probably should have created a dedicated thread… But it was worth it.

Anyone have more questions? Or, I guess, if someone had them they would already asked, right?..

 No.3232

File: 1487059517699.jpg (405.09 KB, 1200x796, .jpg)


 No.3243

File: 1487198666237.jpg (490.87 KB, 1280x853, .jpg)


 No.3270

File: 1487326996442.jpg (340.82 KB, 1200x718, .jpg)


 No.3271

>>3243
Svelogorsk looks pretty af man

 No.3282

File: 1487519639462.jpg (541.02 KB, 1280x862, .jpg)

>>3271
I know, I've been there. Kaliningrad (ex-Koenigsberg) region is awesome and the Svetlogorsk is awesome in particular. But the most interesting thing is that this >>3243 photo has been taken this January. Can you believe this? In winter? In Russia? Green trees and above +10 Celsius?! Even in Crimea it is colder in this part of the year, and the KLG is about the same latitude as Moscow. Not sure but may be Gulf-Stream's influence.

Pic related is also taken this winter in the same region.

 No.3299

File: 1487690840796.jpg (341.49 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)


 No.3318

File: 1487956584904.jpg (455.22 KB, 1216x842, .jpg)

So… Any ideas for topics to discuss?

 No.3327

How much does ice fuck up the pantographs?

 No.3333

File: 1488047649892.jpg (485.62 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)

Sorry, I couldn't refrain:)

 No.3335

File: 1488056300314.jpg (352.85 KB, 1268x842, .jpg)

>>3327
I have covered this topic here >>2369 >>2370 >>2391 >>2401 but such amounts of ice on the contact wire is mostly the danger to the wire itself and for the traction or auxiliary equipment of electic rolling stock however I can't say how much it affects the pantograph. Probably there is some damage because of the arc but most likely this goes only for the replaceable graphite blocks and I suppose modern pantographs are strong enough to mostly deal with additional vibrations and mechanical resistance ice adds to the system.

 No.3382

File: 1488754048868.jpg (420.74 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)

Hey. Sorry about forgetting my thread for a while. Just dumping a bunch of beautiful pics.

 No.3383

File: 1488754067760.jpg (393.04 KB, 1200x782, .jpg)


 No.3384

File: 1488754138321.jpg (409.56 KB, 1200x794, .jpg)


 No.3385

File: 1488754178686.jpg (413.3 KB, 1262x828, .jpg)


 No.3415

Was going to ask this in the live fish stock car thread, but it seems more appropriate here.

What's the deal with Russian rolling stock using Bettendorf trucks?
Did they buy directly from American manufacturers prior to the Russian Revolution and/or Cold War, or did they merely license / copy the design for domestic production?

 No.3453

File: 1489513417499.jpg (121.18 KB, 1000x587, .jpg)

>>3415
Sorry for late reaction, hope you will read this post.

You mean the modern type of trucks with sorta T-shaped frame? Well which country don't use them these days. Pretty sure all modern freight trucks resemble the original design very remotely so I'm not sure about licensing or copying. What I do know is that we were getting some of the US freight cars during or even before WWII so probably some research on them were done.
The modern Russian freight truck models are based on the 1950-s TsNII-H3 (later known as 18-100) project however I know that one plant (Tikhvin car works) produces licensed Barber S-2-R trucks for its cars. No idea whether 18-100 was developed directly based on some US-designed truck or TsNII was just logically considering their design (which sounds more plausible to me).

If someone here into car running gear they can search for similarities and differences with US trucks on this blueprint of 18-100.

 No.3462

File: 1489567179823.jpg (471.17 KB, 1200x807, .jpg)


 No.3473

File: 1489765747717.jpg (715.21 KB, 1300x782, .jpg)


 No.3480

File: 1490041742321.jpg (458.37 KB, 1280x853, .jpg)

Justice, bitch!

 No.3483

>>3480
Oh man, is there a story behind this? :^)

 No.3488

What pretty photos.

 No.3493

File: 1490256176711.jpg (225.62 KB, 1024x768, .jpg)

>>3483
Well I suppose this will be another answer no one will care about because of how late it is, right?:(

Nothing different from hundreds of other stories like this. Just some rich moron that thinks he is beyond all laws get owned be the laws of physics. This car is 125000 bucks (even loco like this is still much more expensive), I hope he won't get any money from the insurance. Hopefully RZD's Traction Department will sue him also.

 No.3498

I must say I'm impressed that this is the longest running thread currently, maybe even in 1chan history. Glory to Mother Russia.

 No.3499

File: 1490327262809.jpg (493.24 KB, 1200x900, .jpg)

>>3498
Hah. That's just my way of doing it. Start a thread and let it run "on the background" periodically bumping it and discussing topics. Didn't go very well with active discussion this time, most of the time I was just (as it looked like at least) talking to myself, being not even sure someone reads it. But actually I think it is also my bad, in previous threads I just used to put more efforts into igniting the discussion. Not abandoning this whole thing though.

 No.3501

File: 1490330327871.jpg (641.03 KB, 1200x847, .jpg)

>>3488
Thanks. They mostly aren't mine of course, I just pick them carefully. However there may be some photos taken by me in these threads but to not disrupt the anonymity I won't tell which or whether they are or not in some specific thread. Call me paranoid, whatever.

 No.3530

>>3499
I enjoy your threads a lot, I don't have to ask questions too often because you explain them well. I feel you could publish a book on this. Good job! Although we may not pipe up too often, there are some who enjoy this immensely. :^)

 No.3544

File: 1490871205343.jpg (435.89 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)


 No.3545

File: 1490873270170.jpg (398.85 KB, 1200x762, .jpg)

>>3530
> I don't have to ask questions too often
But if you have them, even the ones you consider silly, then feel free to ask. This is actually what this thread lacks, there weren't much questions. Just keep in mind that I may answer only after a day or two, after all this is a slow board.

 No.3551

File: 1490897971899.jpg (495.73 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)


 No.3603

File: 1491507676787.jpg (490.01 KB, 1276x756, .jpg)

BTW which photos are you interested in more, with diesel or electric rolling stock? Or doesn't matter and I should post somewhere about 50/50?

 No.3618

>>3603
I gotta say, I love your pics of those big multi-unit electrics.

 No.3619

>>3603
Trains are trains. I highly doubt you'll upset anyone with whatever you post. I know I'm not active in this thread, but I enjoy it.

 No.3627

File: 1491775423381.jpg (429.11 KB, 1200x760, .jpg)

>>3618
Yep, just realized this thread lacks them too much.

Heres the biggest and the "multiunitest" electric locomotive on this whole planet. Unfortunately none photos of it in actual work exist even despite it is in operation for about couple of years.

 No.3628

File: 1491775927282.jpg (631.31 KB, 1280x729, .jpg)

>>3619
I'm not afraid to upset anyone, on the contrary, I'm trying to make the 1520 thread great again with more carefully picked content. It just too much resembles a podcast instead of a topic on a forum now.

Wonder where 1524 has disappeared BTW…

 No.3671

File: 1492364079646.jpg (194.87 KB, 1024x655, 1491322160659.jpg)


Springtiem

 No.3688

File: 1492501242472.jpg (1.39 MB, 2560x1920, ЭР200_все.JPG)

>>3671
That looks like an MTR MLR train though. You'll never see air conditioning that aggressive in Russia, at least not until climate change turns really serious. But nice IR.

Just to add to thread, some ER200 stolen from wiki. I wonder why it never went mass production. Seems a rather neat thing.

 No.3690

File: 1492527367979.jpg (465.51 KB, 1280x853, .jpg)

>>3688
Just for the record, this isn't actually Russia at all (I know, it is obvious), so I'm not sure why this pic was related.

> You'll never see air conditioning that aggressive in Russia


BULLSHIT.

Every EMU/DMU, even the cheap ones, get an air conditioning in Russia, same goes for Russian-produced carriages and locomotives, they ALL should have full air conditioning on board. Whether or not it will be kept working depends on who operate it but apart from locomotives all passenger rolling stock usually have working air conditioners. I heard depot service also tries to keep most air conditioners on the locomotives running.
This may surprise some western people but most of more or less highly populated areas in Russia have a few quite hot days in summer.

Note the white contraptions on the roof of this Transmashholding's RA2. How many of them and how many of cars there are? Not aggressive enough?..

 No.3694

File: 1492562921618.jpg (57.76 KB, 639x562, RPR44MX1.JPG)

>>3690
The keyword is *aggressive* aircon. Hong Kong (and by extension, tropical asian countries) is next level strong where you can find places below 13°C (seriously) and the units on trains are really, really overkill even compared to Japan. Basically whatever you find in Europe, crank it up a bit more and then double whatever you get (because by azn standards, they look a little small running single and double up). Likewise amusing, some are made in Australia.

Though they've relaxed the settings a bit in recent years due to complaints.

 No.3695

File: 1492596862437.jpg (474.12 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)

>>3694
> The keyword is *aggressive*
I get it, but it was more obvious to think of either the percentage of rolling stock with air conditioning or the number of air conditioners on each car. That was my point: 3 units for each car (except the middle one) - not aggressive enough? :)

 No.3696

File: 1492611695378.jpg (243.89 KB, 1280x720, MCC_Delovoy_centr.jpg)

>>3695
Depends on their size! Some of the old Hanshin and Keio trains used to have 8-10 smaller ones and the whole ceiling was made of vents.

But anyway, onto brighter shores. What's with the night vision colour scheme on the Line 14 station?

 No.3697

File: 1492628073567.jpg (356.95 KB, 1200x800, .jpg)

>>3696
> Line 14
I would rather call it MCC or metro-rail… after all technically it is a railway, just with cutting edge ABTC-M signaling system by NIIAS RZD's research institute allowing VERY tight intervals. Remember, there is even rather busy freight traffic on MCC! Though freights only use specially built main track III in daytime, thus on 2-track stretches they can pass only at night.

And I have covered the topic with Delovoy Tsentr here: >>1820

 No.3701

File: 1492636755286.jpg (480.49 KB, 1250x854, .jpg)

>>3696
>>3697
I can only add that the lighting seems to be not as bad as it looks on the picture. The security men seem rather comfortable to be there and I myself was here for about half an our without any significant discomfort. Though it indeed very unusual but not painful.
Sounds like a good topic for the SciShow, can being on the light of only one basic color be unhealthy.

P. S. I know, this is not Lastochka yet there are only two main tracks. It has been spotted that two-track stretches, while can't be used for the freight traffic at daytime, are used to pass some passenger consists from carriage depot on Moscow-Kievskaya to different stations terminal to their according routes. Try to guess what the cars are or which route they are used on.

 No.3716

>>3701
I love the look of those big russian pax cars - slab sides, somewhat angular roofline, loads of underfloor gear and complex gangways.

And it's all topped off with bright LED tail markers. Genuinely a good looking end.

I might have an odd fetish for coaching stock.

 No.3717

>>3716
The CIS is one of the last bastions of old school long distance loco hauled passenger trains.

 No.3719

File: 1492876680944.jpg (361.19 KB, 1200x744, .jpg)

>>3716
> those big russian pax cars
Wow, these are big to you? I thought you will figure out comparing them to the first car in the consist that these are RIC loading gauge mod. 61-4476 cars by Tver Carriage Works (Transmashholding) http://tvz.ru/catalog/passenger/item_detail.php?ELEMENT_ID=186, you can say these are the smallest passenger cars in operation on RZD.
And… >>3717 The funny thing that these are actually designed to work on EU routes and this particular consist would become a Moscow - Warsaw train in the next few hours. They use some Siemens parts, naturally, it would be almost impossible to certify them in the EU without some big local player, but the drawback is that Siemens actually tried to promote these carriages as their own, you may heard of Siemens Viaggio Classic, this is, as far as goes my research, the "false name" of TVZ's 61-4476. Though not a big deal actually, I guess. SNCF even started the test operation of these cars on their internal routes about a year ago.
> Yeah, Russia is bad, sanctions and stuff, but nobody will notice if we buy from them some rolling stock… right?

Now to be clear, if you speaking of BIG CARS, you wanna consider these. http://tvz.ru/catalog/passenger/item_detail.php?ELEMENT_ID=190

 No.3746

File: 1493184483316.jpg (494.62 KB, 1200x659, .jpg)


 No.3747

>>3717
Not quite. There's plenty of (relatively speaking) loco-hauled trains in and around the UK, including*:

- ECML (London - Edinburgh)
- GEML (London - Norwich)
- Cumbria Coast Line (Carlisle - Preston(?) via Barrow-in-Furness)
* HST services do not count, as they form a fixed consist

In fact, loco hauled services look set to increase in number when TransPennine Express introduce loco-hauled services from Manchester to Glasgow and Edinburgh.

 No.3748

>>3747
>TransPennine Express

You must pictures!

 No.3749

>>3748

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=143579

Have a read of this. The first bodyshell has been completed and the locomotives (Class 68/88) are being constructed and tested. The first loco hauled service is due to enter service in a year's time.

 No.3752

>>3747
I'm doing the Arriva Trains Wales posh train next week. 67+4. Anyone want pics?

 No.3788

File: 1493757798897.jpg (308.15 KB, 1300x800, 20170501_589621.jpg)


 No.3826

File: 1494357376752.jpg (379.52 KB, 1200x800, 20170505_589917.jpg)

By the way today is the Victory Day in some countries (72th anniversary of the Third Reich capitulation in the WWII) so happy Victory Day if you're into that. If you're not, then just enjoy a couple of photos of cool steam-hauled thematic trains.

 No.3827

File: 1494357405988.jpg (358.29 KB, 1249x749, 20170507_590117.jpg)


 No.3828

>>3826
>>3827
My favorite contributions thus far.

 No.3912

File: 1495780596860.jpg (378.71 KB, 1296x872, 20170521_591389.jpg)

Do not forget about the oldest thread on this board.

 No.3913

File: 1495780796960.jpg (340.25 KB, 1250x804, 20170524_591613.jpg)

>>3912
"We are eternal. A pinnacle of evolution and existence. Before Us you are nothing…"

 No.3919

File: 1495992232118.jpg (294.18 KB, 1200x711, 20170527_591826.jpg)


 No.3950

File: 1496270058607.jpg (648.7 KB, 1250x832, 196671.jpg)

So it's summer already.

 No.3957

File: 1496346939596.jpg (509.62 KB, 1300x830, 197071.jpg)


 No.3960

File: 1496407470206.jpg (343.97 KB, 1200x840, 20170601_592308.jpg)

And this is the first two days of summer in a nutshell…

 No.3961

File: 1496414911994.jpg (428.87 KB, 1280x768, 20170531_592179.jpg)


 No.4015

File: 1497397051203.jpg (356.58 KB, 1200x755, 20170613_593353.jpg)


 No.4021

File: 1497482591124.jpg (617.99 KB, 1268x860, 20170601_592264.jpg)

By the way, guys, always wanted to ask a question on the topic that seems very discussed here.

Just honestly, what do you think of the RZD's unified red-grey paintscheme?

I really want an outside opinion as on ex-USSR space it is largely disliked but mostly for nostalgic reasons and that many don't like one unified livery replacing many different ones. Also, do you have some livery on Russian rolling stock you like better than RZD's red&grey?

 No.4022

>>4021
I really don't mind it at all. I like the contrast.

 No.4028

File: 1497655731321.jpg (314.91 KB, 1300x860, 20170615_593497.jpg)

Yeah, so that's how you guys treat important questions…


>>4022
Thanks for answer. I can see that even on the seemingly beloved topic of paintschemes nobody actually cares about any rolling stock except for North American and a bit Japanese :)

 No.4030

File: 1497758477529.jpg (362.43 KB, 1024x508, 29975170455_6268c2a5b2_b.jpg)

>>4021
They actually don't look bad at all with the red ends. It probably works well for safety reasons too. It reminds me of the colour scheme used by Western Forest Products logging railroad here in Canada, and I like it.

Replacing the red with a dark blue would look good too.

I understand the nostalgia bit, i've witnessed it over the years with CP Rail. I got in during the multimark/Pacman era of the mid-80s & can remember oldtimers complaining about it while voicing their preference for the tuscan red scheme from the 1950's. I actually know people who stopped taking colour pictures during the change. When the multimark scheme was dropped in the 1990s many younger (than me) railfans liked it while I thought they looked funny. I suspect they liked it as it made modelling easier. Then the messy Canada/USA flag scheme, the "Canadian Pacific" w/ beaver scheme… blah! I'm like those old farts, I prefer the earlier stuff. :^)

 No.4032

File: 1497910325081.jpg (391.98 KB, 1200x859, 20170618_593867.jpg)

>>4030
For safety reasons there are these orange spots of special reflecting paint.

And that's, by the way, how it would probably look without the red ends. This is NEVZ's E5K series livery before they started to paint locomotives for RZD in their new scheme.
What do you (any of you actually) think? Compared to RZD's scheme.

 No.4033

>>4030
Some interesting looking switchers. But with all the mods done they might as well be geeps.

 No.4035

>>4033
(Sorry for the thread jump)
They were custom modified and the engines replaced with Cats. Shop guy told me years ago that they ran into a problem during the rebuilds when they found a lot of sheets of lead in the locomotives floor boards. I believe they were 1 inch thick. Considered a hazardous material they had to have special personal protection in place and then a safe disposal plan. I forgot how much they actually found in each locomotive but I do remember it was a lot. An extra expense they did not expect.
(We now return to our regularly scheduled Russian train thread)

>4032

I prefer the RZD scheme like in #4028. I like the way the stripe jogs upwards and then to the back.

 No.4049

File: 1498592820393.jpg (362.74 KB, 1296x864, 20170622_594156.jpg)

The site is dormant…

 No.4059

File: 1498861773788.jpg (519.82 KB, 1200x883, 199442.jpg)

What's up with your weather?

 No.4078

File: 1499083898688.jpg (61.28 KB, 960x720, GreenCounty-tornado-damage.jpg)

>>4059

45 m/s winds

 No.4089

File: 1499271788643.jpg (176.48 KB, 850x537, 20150626_522792.jpg)

>>4078
Yeah, something similar also was a thing about three weeks ago. 16 fatalities and a few delays on Moscow railway due to fallen trees. The winds were 30 m/s though.

But this is way more spectacular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU3sRrMKK5Y - The long one (the speeds are probably limited due to water)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvojYYXYhuQ - The short one (they don't really care. Probably because this isn't a station)

 No.4094

>>4089
Damn. Got any more?

 No.4095

File: 1499400319890.jpg (422.75 KB, 1300x820, 199973.jpg)

>>4094
Sure, but not as vivid as the first two. There aren't even really other decent photos of flooded tracks. Apparently not many fans of being outside in such weather, especially with a camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Agv0Vms5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uGJG3vOLSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGKNsTAkQU4

 No.4120

File: 1500063474990.jpg (523.85 KB, 1260x840, 20170708_595640.jpg)


 No.4168


 No.4169

File: 1500733007002.jpg (41.08 KB, 288x512, 1495276952992.jpg)

I wonder if there are steering cars in Russian trains. I know you've used dummy locomotives in consists.

>>3628
Hi. So I don't need an excuse for a blog post because at least someone's missed me :)

So Last year I was unemployed, happily hauling around junkies on pizza pay with my junk car, sucking state tit and doing whatever. Lovely people. Around February I applied and got into this apprenticeship program, a really good one, in a ship yard as pipe routing AutoCAD guy, properly through the unemployment agency, so at least the paperwork has been a breeze and, ehm, the size my state tit almost doubled too :) But Still, I needed to move into a new city (from Pori, Vähärauma, 28600 to Turku, Perno, 20240) under three weeks notice, I was on a 50-day fast at the time (to have a break from the junkie friends). That was fun.

So the spring and early summer has been busy settling down time at the evenings and weekends, driving around listening to the google bitch moan to my ear in a "big" (it's relative!) new city, trying to locate various knick-knacks. The most frustrating feeling by the way in that is knowing exactly where to get the things in the old city. Also few the of my raggy social relations have been pulling me around.

Managed to snap this pic while on quick babby's first bike tour with my pal, early June (One thing I needed weeks worth of evenings to locate everything). Sober guy. About the only thing sober in summer I fear, alarming amounts of pot has burned. Yeah, I was about to promise to go to take a pic from an old rail tractor, but but that same guy is urgin me on a fucking bike tour again. We'll see, if I come across any railroad relics or anything.

 No.4170

File: 1500737656853.jpg (358.21 KB, 1280x850, 196652.jpg)

>>4169
If you mean non-motorized cars with cab which rely on locomotive, on ex-Soviet railroads there is a term (монокабина) for these which translates as monocab. Dunno if this is even a thing here but I may stick to it anyway.

Not particularly in Russia but in Belarus and Ukraine there are four types of "DMUs" which are using monocab cars (DRB1, DDB1 and DPL1 and DPL2), one type (DDB1) is made on Russian Demihovskiy engineering works. They have 3-6 cars including monocab and adapted unit of two-unit 2M62U locomotive. DPL2 is using 2TE116 unit, all of them now are on the Lugansk republic's territory so who knows what's up with them now. Maybe some of them are still used but for obvious reasons it is hard to keep track of them.
Oh, and also there is MDP type in Belarus which is a proper DMU but only one car is motorized so the other one is monocab… if this counts. I rode one of those.

 No.4172

File: 1500750193529.jpg (700.42 KB, 2560x1440, 20170722_214850.jpg)

Follows shitty station platform pictures from Tampere.

An articulated car carriage.

 No.4173

File: 1500750612713.jpg (804.61 KB, 2560x1440, 20170722_214901.jpg)

The train had one open car carriage, several of the closed articulated kind.

My camera is a potato.

"This is an InterCity train to Pori. Our following stops are at… Nokia, Karkku, Vammala, Kokemäki and Pori. This train has an minibistro trolley that sells hot and cold refreshments and little salties to the compartments (or something crazy like that) - Have a pleasant journey."

 No.4174

File: 1500750727916.jpg (863.17 KB, 2560x1440, 20170722_215400.jpg)

Long train is long, probably the mainline sleeper to north.

 No.4175

File: 1500750906113.jpg (806.75 KB, 2560x1440, 20170722_215308.jpg)

And these two hanging around in pair pull configuration could be its engines. Sr1:s in mainline are getting rare

 No.4176

File: 1500751075142.jpg (839.88 KB, 2560x1440, 20170722_215325.jpg)

On my 4 car InterCity to Pori an sr1 is to be expected.

 No.4177

File: 1500751309400.jpg (1015.09 KB, 2560x1440, 20170722_215102.jpg)

Also managed to get a sip of an edo face.

 No.4199

File: 1501097161581.jpg (561.6 KB, 1250x800, 192758.jpg)

>>4172
Actually I'm not done with your question yet :)
>>4169
>>4170
As for RZD itself, I think the monocab (or steering car if you wish) concept is heavily overlooked here. Apart from DDB1 made for BCh there is even actual groundwork for these in the shape of Transmashholding's double-deck cars and I think some single-deck models (all product of TVZ) which are equipped with a digital bus which can connect all cars and the locomotive into the common network but as far as I know it was never used other than on tests or at least never connected to a locomotive (being used only between cars) but it looks like the main point of this whole system is to provide a technology for operation of monocabs (steering cars). But the main problem is there isn't any cars with cabs in the TVZ's lineup while it would be actually useful to have such trains as Moscow - Voronezh - Moscow express being able to operate in both directions without uncoupling from a loco. The other problem is that only EP10 and EP20 locomotives support this technology and other passenger locomotives do not have multiple unit sockets at all and cargo-passenger locomotives or road switchers which also work with passenger (only suburban in case of switchers) trains have hardware-based multiple unit technology so apart from using top-tier dual-system 7200 kW locomotives you would need to modernize a locomotives which are expected to work with monocabs. Actually that's basically the treatment that 2M62Us and 2TE116s got to be paired with the aforementioned "pseudo-DMUs".

 No.4200

File: 1501097228758.jpg (386.33 KB, 1200x800, 198651.jpg)

>>4199

But I think in case of RZD it would be useful only for <400-km range trains with only places for sitting, the niche (if we are talking of intercity service) which is currently being taken over by Lastochka EMUs (Siemens Desiro modified and produced by Ural railway engineering works of Sinara Group), by the way a bad decision but that's not the point, so there are only a few trains like Bryansk of Voronezh express trains or also not a whole lot of regional suburban trains which aren't DMUs (which often use just random unused FPK's passenger cars and random loco) for which this technology could be used so it isn't much real perspectives. But still RZD could order from Transmashholding these 160 km/h double-deckers with monocabs for these Bryansk and Voronezh rapid trains (or also the upcoming double-deck express from Rostov-na-Donu to Adler) and connect them to EP20 locomotives which are already used with them and that's probably the only case which will benefit from this technology but… probably RZD have never even looked into this.

 No.4217

File: 1501286291580.jpg (447.81 KB, 1260x800, 200598.jpg)

Well I hope 1524 is satisfied with my as always overly complicated and boring answer.

> Long train is long


Oh, really? And here I am with >>4199 a 14-car double-deck train with one thousand three hundred sixty seats (that's the world record for the regular train as far as I'm concerned)…

*being sarcastic of course. If I would be really snobby about number of cars than there will come USA to crush my ego under their 32-ton axle load. Still we have longer passenger trains than them:)

 No.4222

>>4217
>Still we have longer passenger trains than them:)

Longer bread lines too… I kid!

 No.4258

>>4167



HOLY COW IT'S THE REAL WIZARD MAN!

 No.4302

>>4199
>>4200
I really like these two pictures!

Fantastic info here btw. While I may not comment often, your Russian train threads are a source of interest to me. My curiosity also extends to Russian far east, from about Lake Baikal to the Kamchatka Krai region. Beautiful country around there.



[Return][Go to top] [Post a Reply]
Delete Post [ ]